Staying healthy without compromising on taste and enjoyment is difficult, especially at breakfast! We’ve shared shakshuka breakfast recipes with you before, including our Shakshuka eggs for 4 people and this time we’re adding more flavour in for 1 (just double up on the ingredients to serve 2 people.
Generally, shakshuka (1) is a one-pan spiced veggie dish full of flavoursome saucy tomatoes, peppers and onions with eggs cracked in during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Last time we added the perfect topping to give this dish a morning kick – our Stript Snacks Red Chilli Biltong. This time, we’ve made it even tastier with a bit of tikka spice! Adding the biltong will not only increase the protein in this dish but also the taste!
This dish is super easy to make, an inexpensive healthy meal and super comforting during those colder mornings. It’s also a great dish for brunch or lunch.
Tasty Tikka Shakshuka Eggs Perfect for 1!
|1/4 large onion||Thinly sliced|
|1/4 red pepper||Cut into long slices|
|1/4 green pepper||Cut into long slices|
|1/2 garlic clove||Finely chopped|
|1 tsp tikka spice mix||–|
|1 tsp tomato purée||–|
|1 spring onion||Chopped|
|1 or 2 free-range eggs||–|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper||–|
|1x Pack Stript Red Chilli||Crisped in oven for 10 mins|
- Heat some veg oil and add the onions and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook on a medium heat until just softened.
- Add the garlic, tikka spice and then stir in the tomato purée and passata and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Make 1-2 small wells in the sauce. Break an egg into a cup and drop carefully into a well, repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny.
- Sprinkle over the spring onions & Stript pieces.
Serve up with your favourite morning beverage, whether it’s tea, coffee or freshly pressed juice and enjoy!
Source 1: https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/198606/what-is-shakshuka-and-where-did-it-come-from/